Friday, June 28, 2013

An English Teacher is in High Demand

I have had a busy week at school this week. The students take unit quizzes this week. so I have been helping Mony grade and average scores. Students take exams next week, and the last day of school is July 8th. After July 8th, students have an opportunity to take their exams again if needed. I think it is an awful lot of quizzes and exams for the students. If I am worn out grading every student's quiz, I can imagine that the students are even more overwhelmed. I was talking to Jhonny, one of the boys in my house family. He told me that he has FOUR exams on one day! I mean...WOW! I'm just exhausted thinking about how he is going to study for four exams with everything else he has going on. Students at the Foundation wake up at 3 a.m. to do chores. They also have chores in the afternoon as well, and they have to eat, attend worship, and do everything the house mother tells them to do. Believe me...the children at the Foundation don't have down time. They are always doing something!

Today I took pictures of some of my classes. I help in 1st through 7th level classes. 1st level would be equivalent to our kindergarden, so I basically work with elementary school children (Kindergarden through sixth grade). I still need pictures of two of my classes, but I thought I would share the pictures that I do have. None of these pictures will win an award for best photo; however, I'm glad that I have a few good ones. I took about 20 of every class and tried to pick the best one. The students are not always concerned with looking straight into the camera, and they for some reason always want to throw up the peace sign.  So...trust me...I did the best I could! :)



2nd level class


Oscar is in second level and lives on the Foundation. I wish I could take him back to the States with me. The sun was in our eyes, and he has an interesting smile. I might try to take another one with him before I leave. Nevertheless, I love this little boy!

4th level class


Yes, I know! This is the best one! I I can't believe it either! :) 

5th level class


Samuel (near the center) was concerned that he wasn't smiling. Go figure...so I took one of him with a friend. 


This is a sweet picture. Why can't they all turn out like this one?


6th level class


Let's just say, wow!


7th level


Last but certainly least...I think they were ready to leave for the day! What do you think?


During break, a few wanted to keep taking pictures. 


Mateo has quite the serious stare. If you look for him in the 6th level picture, he is striking the same smile (if you want to catch it that).  Mateo is also one of the children in my house family.

I hope you find these pictures as hilarious as I do! :) The students are a bit unruly and have an interesting way of taking pictures, but they are sweet children! 

After school, the counselor stopped me and told me that she wanted me to tutor her daughter in English. Her daughter attends this school, but she is older. Therefore, I don't have her in one of my classes. The counselor told me that her daughter has heard wonderful things about my ability to teach English and explain concepts in Spanish, and she wants me to help her daughter prepare for her exam on Monday afternoon. She asked me how much I charged, and I assured her it would be free. I'm just wondering if she is sure she has the right girl?! 

After lunch I needed to buy more water, but the store where I normally purchase drinks and snacks was closed. I continued to walk a little farther until I found another store that had larger bottles of water. As I was purchasing the water, the owner began to ask me questions. I honestly can't remember how the conversation started, but she asked me where I was from and if I lived on the Foundation. I told her that I lived on the Foundation, and I help teach English at the school. She was elated and asked me if I could come back next week to tutor her granddaughter in English. I said that I would return on Tuesday and help her granddaughter. She was excited because she said it is extremely difficult to find someone who knows English really well and can speak Spanish.  I really wanted to say...really, you think I speak Spanish well? I think you have overestimated my abilities! We will see how this tutoring session turns out...

Who knew? An English teacher would be in such high demand! :) I hope I can deliver what these women want! :)

Oh in other news, I have neighbors next door. Linda and her daughter are here from the States to help the house mothers with chores. I'm glad to have friends next door, and I'm hoping that I've found more friends who will be interested in going into San Luis with me. God is definitely working through me in Ecuador. Please keep me in your prayers, I'll keep you posted on things here. 

I better go for now...dinner is served! 











4 comments:

  1. I love all the cute pictures. Lots of boys too!! Look at you just tutoring everyone now. You are in high demand. God has given you amazing talents and its cool to see Him using you. Loved chatting this week with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the blog!! What an incredible experience!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures are great. So glad you are having a good time. Plus, I'm happy you have fallen in love with a lovely Latin man. Oscar is adorable! I tell you all the time how amazing you are- glad the folks over there recognize it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you are in high demand! You are AMANDA!! Love reading the blog and hearing about how God is working through you!!

    ReplyDelete