Thursday, June 6, 2013

First Week

My first day if school was Monday. I am working in the elementary school helping the English instructor, Monica. Monica is very sweet, and she's thankful I'm here to help her. She knows English well, but I am helping her explain many of the grammatical concepts. The children are very friendly and always want to give you a hug and a kiss. However, most of them are wild and noisy in the classroom. 

Hermano Miguel, the director, is very kind and helpful. I must say though that I have to be very proactive, which is against my nature. Nothing is explained, and everyone assumes that I know what to do, which i rarely do! I did not have a housing assignment until 3:30 yesterday, so I have been without meals. Luckily, I packed granola bars and crackers in my suitcase. I think I will probably lose a little bit of weight while I'm here. The food is okay in the house, but I have to be careful what I eat. My house mother doesn't always make sure it is okay for me to eat, so I have to use my best judgment. 

In order to spend time with the Coes and Brocks(the missionaries from my church), I have to walk up a big hill. I walked up the hill on Sunday afternoon and had to stop twice to catch my breath. I would like to say that I'm in better shape, but I'm still getting used to the altitude. (:  Unfortunately, this also means that Internet is scarce. I must admit I'm a little spoiled and miss access to the Internet. Their children are in school, so they are staying in Quito this week. I won't get to see them this week but will get a great workout climbing the hill when I do.

My apartment resembles a dorm room and is a great fit. It is centrally located-only a couple of minutes to the school and my housing assignment. On the first day, I had a leak in the bathroom, but after I told Hermano Miguel, he sent someone to fix it. All is better now, thankfully! 

My days are filled with school and playing with children,  and my nights are spent reading and relaxing in my apartment. I am practicing my Spanish, which is what I wanted to do. I also love to teach, so I feel like I'm in the right place. Most of my nights though I spend lots of time alone, but God is good and is answering all of my prayers. I hope to update again soon with pictures, but it will all depend on Internet access. Please keep me in your prayers. Pray for my food situation and meaningful friendships! (:

No comments:

Post a Comment