Sunday, June 9, 2013

Happy Saturday!

Today is my first "real" Saturday in Ecuador. Last Saturday, I was here, but I arrived too late for it to really count. I was looking forward to sleeping late this morning. I usually wake up at 5:20ish because I have to be at school by 6:30, and I haven't been sleeping all that well this past week. Needless to say, I was looking forward to rest and relaxation. I did sleep later, but I woke up around 8 and couldn't go back to sleep.

Although I was looking forward to the weekend, I also was a little apprehensive because I didn't have any plans for the day. I still don't know bus routes and places to go, so I was a little worried that I would spend the majority of my day in my apartment. However, it was such a good day!  :) In the morning, I washed clothes and tidied up my apartment. I am very fortunate to have a washing machine and dryer at my disposal, so I can easily wash clothes when I need to wash them. 


Here is a picture of my apartment when I walk in the front door. My closet is in the space behind my backpack and purse. I also have shelve space under the counter. I have my bed and bathroom to the left. 




As you can see, my apartment has everything that I need. :) Yes, I did make the bed just for this picture! :) 

In the afternoon, I walked down to see my house family.  One the the children, Tania, wanted me to call my mom because she wanted to see my house in the United States. She and I called my mom, but unfortunately she was not at home. However, it was good to talk to my mom, dad, grandmother, and aunt from my grandmother's car.  I also was able to talk to my friend, Melanie, too. She was sitting in Central Park in New York City. Technology is so cool! :) 

After I made a couple of calls and checked email, I helped my house mother with English. Afterwards, she and I went to the community room where the children were playing games. When we arrived, there were treats for us. I had jello, a sandwich, and a coke! I enjoyed talking to my house mother, eating the treats, and spending time with the children. They are so sweet, and they make me feel so loved. 



Tania, one of the children in my house, and I are smiling for the camera. I know I look rough in this picture. It was taken on Friday when we didn't have water at the Foundation, so I hadn't had a shower. Tania and I took many pictures that day, and I chose this one because her smile is the best in this picture. Mishel, another child in my house,  is in the background holding up bunny ears. Tania always writes me sweet notes. The most recent one says, "Te quiero mucho!" (I love you very much!) I also love Tania very much--Mishel too :) 


Dayana, Tania, and Mishel (from left to right) are posing for the camera. There are 8 children in my house, and I will hopefully post pictures of all of them sooner or later. They are all so precious and have truly become my family away from home! I love them! :) 

Happy Saturday to you from Ecuador! I hope your Saturday was filled with lots of fun, smiles, and laughter! 





1 comment: