Friday, June 7, 2013

I've Found Internet...Sort of

There are two things I can't live without: the internet and good food!

And I have the best news! I HAVE FOUND A WAY TO USE THE INTERNET! :) I hope you can tell how excited I am. Now, before you think we can talk all the time, let me explain. Last night I asked Hermano MIguel for the code for the internet at the foundation. After he gave it to me, I tried to connect with the passcode. I was able to connect, but the connection was too bad to use.  I have tried to use the internet in every place at the foundation: the school, the church, the basketball courts, the soccer fields, literally everywhere I go. However, this afternoon I was able to connect for about 30 minutes today. The internet is still sporadic and will just cut out without warning, but I am able to use it in spurts. I also have to sit in front of Hermano Miguel's house. I know I sound like a stalker, but don't worry! He knows I'm only trying to use the internet. I even was able to talk to my family last night on Google Hangouts. Guess where they were? Eating at Firebirds...of all places. My stomach is growling at the thought of it. I hope they ate some for me. On a serious note, I have prayed all week for a chance to talk to my family, and God has answered my prayer! Wahoo! :)

There is a glimmer of hope for my food situation as well. I had a stomach ache this morning because I have not had a "real" meal since Sunday night. I think I've mentioned in an earlier post that luckily I had the foresight to pack granola bars and crackers. For every meal, I've had a pack (4 crackers) of crackers and a chewy granola bar. Needless to say, I usually require a little more to eat. I'm not familiar with bus routes or stores, so I've had no other choice. Since the missionaries are away and I've been without internet, I've not been able to ask them. I also didn't want to ask Hermano MIguel or my family for fear of insulting them. They are very hospitable,and I would never want to hurt their feelings. Today I couldn't even attempt lunch with my family for fear I would be sick. However, I found a store at my school where I can buy coke and cookies. I know what you are thinking. Coke and cookies are not very nutritious, but drastic times call for drastic measures. 

Today I went to school from 6:50-1:15. I skipped lunch with my family and returned to my room for about an hour. I decided to try again with the internet, and I succeed in checking my mail; however, my family didn't answer when I called. I then helped my family with English. I am teaching my house mother English. :) My house family is wonderful, and they make me feel right at home. Let me also say that they are are not intentionally keeping good meals from me. Sadly, they eat this kind of food and drink unsanitary water all the time. The children have to walk to a community water fountain to get water, water that you and I couldn't drink. Nonetheless, the children think nothing of it. It makes me realize how blessed I am to live in a place with clean drinking water.  I also am convicted that I am complaining about the food. In my case, it is only temporary. I can also eventually buy more food; they don't have this luxury. 

On Thursdays, the foundation has community worship at 6:00 p.m. Everyone gathers to sing, repeat a memory verse, and have a Bible story. Bob was at community worship, and he told me he would show me the bus routes next week. He also invited me to eat with his family next week. God has answered another prayer! 

I also have found a way to write blog entries and save them without using the internet. When I have internet access, I will be able to post. Obviously now that I have found internet, I can write blogs in my apartment and simply post them at a later date. Therefore, the timing may be off when you read my blog, but I will try to post as soon as possible. I also hope to take pictures of my family, the school, and  my apartment to post as well. With all of this in mind, please don't judge my grammar too harshly. I am cringing inside as an English teacher that I may have a spelling or grammatical mistake in my blog. I've already seen where I put "i" instead of "I." Please forgive me. I meant to correct this mistake earlier but was sidetracked with the call to my parents. I guess I am always an English teacher no matter the language or country! :) 


This is a picture taken outside my apartment. You can see the mountains in the background and see that I have a beautiful view. 

Please continue to pray for me, and if you have time, send me an email of encouragement. I would love to hear from you and will try my best to respond quickly! 

No comments:

Post a Comment