Friday, July 5, 2013

Happy Independence Day


HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY! 

As Mony greeted me this morning with a hug and a kiss, she wished me a "Happy Independence Day." She was interested in the holiday, and the fact that most people have a day off from work. I hope you are enjoying your day off and doing something fun.

Today was a regular school day for me. School is winding down. School officially ends on July 8, but students do not have an English exam on Monday.  I'm sure I will go to school on Monday to help Mony post grades, but I'm pretty much finished with school. We have been getting out of school by 11 each day, so I've had most of my afternoons free.

Last night I talked to my grandmother, and she informed me that I hadn't posted in a while. I was given strict orders to post more, and I hope she approves. I realized though that she is correct.  I have not made a post since last week, and I hadn't talked about my weekend. On Saturday, my neighbors and I went into San Luis. They are so friendly and kind, and I've loved having the company next door. They continue to tell me that I've been a  life-saver for them, but God has blessed me with their company as well. 

My neighbors wanted to eat at TGIFs in San Luis, and I was happy to accompany them and show them the bus route. We ate lunch and went to the movies. We saw Fast and the Furious 6, and it was a pretty good movie. We were trying to recall if we had seen the previous five, but we could not remember seeing all of them.  It was an amazing day! I'm so glad that I've gotten to know them. 

On Sunday, my neighbors took me to see the animals on the Foundation. I've seen the llamas, but I had not seen the guinea pigs and pigs. 



There are many more guinea pigs at the Foundation. This is just one stall, and I would say there are about 100 guinea pigs in this building. The children and house mothers on the Foundation do not eat the guinea pigs; instead, they raise them to sell and make money to support the Foundation. Whew, I'm sure glad! I still can't get over the fact that Ecuadorians eat these little furry friends. And No...to clear up all questions, I have not tasted guinea pig. I saw them on a skewer at the market, but they looked exactly the same as they do in this picture except they are dead of course with their eyes bulging out. Needless to say, I don't think my stomach could have handled that experience, so I had to pass on the offer! Maybe next time...or NOT! 



While I knew that the Foundation raised the guinea pigs, I was not aware that there were pigs on the Foundation until Sunday. There are three of them, and they are all pretty good sized pigs! They don't eat the pigs either, but just like the guinea pigs, the Foundation raises them to sell. 

I also saw a tiger on Sunday! Can you believe it? No...because I'm only kidding...well sort of! Mateo sported an Auburn Tigers T-shirt on Sunday. Does that count? I think it's as close as I want to get. 


I tried to explain the rivalry to him, but how can you really understand the rivalry of Alabama and Auburn unless you live in the state of Alabama or at the very least in the South East? I really don't think you can. I also explained to him that I went to the other school, and I'm a huge fan of the other team.  I assured him that I would bring him an Alabama shirt the next time I came for a visit, so he could at least support both sides! :)  

My neighbors return to the States tomorrow, but they promise to send pictures from the weekend. I will post them when I receive them. I will miss them, but I know they are excited to get back to the States. I pray that God will give them a safe journey home, and hopefully we can keep in touch. 





No comments:

Post a Comment